Creativity isn't just some abstract topic for artists. Think beyond the "in-demand skills" of today and learn how to build creative muscles that unlock a better life for you. William Willis (aka The Prolific Creator) joins us to share his transformative story (flowing between big tech and a "creator" entrepreneur), plus enlightening tips for cultivating meaning and tangible rewards inside and outside of corporate.
Weekly newsletter for Uncaging yourself: try Wednesday Wisdom
Full show website: UncageYourself.FM
03:04 Impact of science fiction
07:22 Wrestling with a "successful" tech career
10:56 Personal learnings from experimentation
15:37 The anti-niche approach
19:42 Identifying your golden thread (EPIC)
23:45 Cultivating your scenius
32:56 Practical creativity for those feeling "caged"
37:10 How you're capping your potential
41:01 How William is methodically designing corporate re-entry
48:44 Rapid-fire questions
56:27 Every second counts
1. There's immense power in unbounded experimentation (with no fixation on outcomes).
2. Be EPIC: [E]xplore interests, observe [P]atterns, [I]dentify common threads, and [C]urate creations.
3. We’re all born to create. The question is, "what are we supposed to create?"
4. Curate your environment (including people) to level up to where you want to be.
5. We become conditioned to value professional effectiveness and efficiency.
6. You're capping your potential if you're not flexing your creative "play" muscles.
7. You are an autonomous being in your world. Don't let others have you believe otherwise.
8. Don't spend your entire life building someone else's dreams (the graveyard is the wealthiest place in the world).
9. All you have is this moment. Don't settle. What can you do right now?
10. "A small, caged life is no way for a human being to live."
Check out William's site: The Prolific Creator
William's Substack newsletter
Connect w/ William on LinkedIn
Follow William on Twitter
Live Uncaged: try the Wednesday Wisdom newsletter
Follow on Twitter @MatthewRDoan