What path should you take? The Safe Path is predictable and comfortable. But then there's the Passion Path, where you know you'll encounter a life of adventure and excitement. This question applies equally to life and career.
Listen up to discover a mental model for approaching safety vs. passion.
Break free of the Corporate Cage: join the Uncaged Academy.
02:35 A question of two paths
04:28 Contemplating passion
05:39 Truly, what is safety?
07:00 Too much safety = masochism
07:22 A framework for action
11:29 Recap of big ideas
1. Starting down the Safety Path gets a relevant foothold early on. But soon enough, you'll wrestle with a burning desire for passion.
2. We're never really safe if we feel continually terrible in the process.
3. Someone else's Plan A is inevitably your Plan B
4. Understand your personal Law of Diminishing Returns — the point at which it no longer makes sense to go "above and beyond" at work.
5. Use regret as a forecasting tool — think forward to your deathbed. What anticipated insights can you pull from the future to the present?
Join the Uncaged Academy (cohort-based course)
Subscribe to the Wednesday Wisdom newsletter
Follow on Twitter @MatthewRDoan
Related episodes: Escaping the Matrix (#23)